A fine 12-bore sidelock, by Henry Atkin, described as ‘Best Quality’ in the makers records, the action with fine foliate-scroll engraving that expands throughout the action, further subtle engraving to the carved fences, top tang and top lever, the underside and trigger-guard also engraved, a classic double trigger and figured walnut stock.
The records show that the gun was made in 1903 and is recorded as being 12-Bore “Best quality, top lever, bar action sidelock ejector”.
Henry Atkin is thought to have been the first employee of Purdey in 1814. However it was Henry Atkin’s son also named Henry that opened this business in 1877 having apprenticed also under Purdey. The firm gained recognition and fame through these guns being used by the Hurlingham Club and Gun Club and this resulted in the business prospering.